Sunday, September 12, 2010

Starting Out

I am on a mission.

For years I have wanted to trace my family lineage back to when they first migrated to the United States. The genealogical research process is full of bad leads and dead-ends. I always casually went about the process but never got in anywhere. In order to do this the right way, I am making this my number 1 priority and sharing with you my successes and failures so you can learn from me.

I can say from the several false starts I've had with this that researching genealogy the right way is hard! However, I always seem to find my way back to it, drawn by the curiosity of where my family came from and the tempting prospect at being the keeper of our heritage. The only thing standing between me and completing the climb up the branches are the decades and centuries of overgrowth blocking my way deep into the family history. I find myself gazing up our family tree but the foliage is too thick to see past the 4th generation and that is where my challenge begins.

Thankfully there is an end game for me in this. My ultimate goal is to find out where my family actually originated from and go to that place, wherever it is. My primary heritages are German and Irish, but given that my last name is Koehler I'm fairly certain the trail will end somewhere in Germany. I think a nice vacation and re-connecting with my heritage via travel would be a great way to wind this project up. However, there is work to be done before that!

I'm going to keep track of my progress in this blog and look to you, my dear readers, for guidance and support as I know this is not an easy task. Since I am a beginner at this, I would sincerely appreciate any assistance the more experienced readers could provide to me and the rest of us. For the other beginners, I'll do my best to provide details about what I'm doing to stay organized, stay connected, and stay focused. Hopefully my stories and struggles can assist you in your quest to trace your family history.

My first step in this process is to find some way of organizing my data. From the little research I've done, I have already collected a folder with tons of stray paperwork that drives me bananas when trying to cross-reference information. I'll post a few different software options I find and let you know if they're any good. I'll also be keeping a corresponding online radio show to this blog so you can call in and talk to me and let me know if I'm researching the wrong way or want to share your stories. I'll post an update shortly when I have a scheduled time.

Thanks for reading and be sure to comment!

Listen to my radio show at http://blogtalkradio.com/climbingbranches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cyndi's List - Search It!
Enter a keyword: surname, place name, type
of record, etc., then click the Find button:

Powered by FreeFind